Friday, October 3, 2014

a Lot of Work to be Done

a Lot of Work to be Done
1&2 Thessalonians

Taken from: http://year27.com/2-thessalonians-313/

In Thessalonians 1 & 2, Paul advised the members of the church to tighten up their actions- make them selves better than they were. Below is a list of things that he instructed them to do in order to be a more righteous group. 

Found in 1 Thessalonians 3-5; 2 Thessalonians 3
FYI: The indented portion includes a definition, or my understanding of the item on the list.

Increase in love towards one another (abound)
            Abound=exist in large numbers
Repent
Soften hearts to the Prophet’s words
Abstain from fornication
Use our bodies with sanctification and honor
            Sanctification = separating yourself from the world and aligning yourself       with God
Avoid the lusts of concupiscence
            Concupiscence = strong sexual desire
Know God
Honest with each other, seek not to defraud
Seek to be holy
Love each other- not despise each other
Study to be quiet, to do our own business and work with our own hands
Take time to listen for the Spirit, make sure we feel the accomplishment of finishing work, mind our own business
Be charitable
Be prepared for the Lord’s coming
Pay attention and “not sleep” for the Lord’s coming
            Do not choose to ignore the Lord’s coming
Be “sober”
            Be aware and attentive to the signs of the Lord’s coming
Wear the breastplate of faith and love
            Protect our hearts and spirits with faith in God and love for everyone
Wear the helmet of salvation
            Protect our minds with the knowledge of who we are and what our plan is
Day and night be followers of Christ
Edify one another
            Edify= instruct or improve
Know each other
            Take time to know those people around us
Esteem highly each other
            See the divine nature of every person
Be at peace with each other
Warn the unruly
            Unruly= unable to control, disruptive, disorderly, not able to discipline
            Warn the people around us who are acting with rebellion
Comfort the feeble minded
            Feeble minded = struggles to make wise decisions, makes bad judgments
            Help those who struggle to follow the commandments
Support the weak
Be patient with each other
Show no evil to any man
Choose to be happy
Pray always
Give thanks
Don’t deny the Spirit
            Listen when prompted to do something
Soften heart to prophesy
            Don’t discount the words of the church leaders
Prove all things
            Listen and hear the commandments, advice and suggestions from scripture and prophesy, and follow through. Look for truth in the advice through living            it.
Hold fast to good
            Look for and only do good.
Stay away from the appearance of evil
            Even the appearance of evil!
Pray for church leaders
Follow commandments
Patiently wait for Christ
Avoid situations of sin
Avoid not working
Avoid being a busy body
            Do not be someone who pries or meddles in other business, do not make mischief.

After compiling this list from Paul of all of the things that members of Christ’s church could do to improve themselves, I was instructed to pick three from the list to write about and work on.  So, below are my three:

1.)  The most obvious problem I need to work on: patience. I need to work on being patient and understanding with those around me- more specifically: my kids. Not only am I quick to anger a lot of the time, but I also do not take the time that I should in listening to the real root of their problems. I tend to look more at the problem that is happening, than at the child having the problem. In order to be more Christlike, and a better member of His church, I need to have pure and heartfelt patience. I need to be patient with the drivers on the road who may struggle with safety, I need to be more patient with neighborhood kids, and I need to work on being patient with people who’s political beliefs I disagree with. Once I allow myself to see the people first, and not their actions, then I am choosing to be more like Christ.

I had a recent awakening to this recently, when the school shooting in Troutdale, OR happened. This was very close to my home town- and I drove by that school everyday! My initial reaction, similar to every single other shooting, was sadness for the victims and disgust for the shooter. A few hours after watching the barrage of police and parents all in tears on TV, it was announced that the shooter was a member of our church- and was in our neighboring stake. My mom knew his family- strong in the church and active in their ward! I realized that I was wrong- this child had a problem and had needed help. He wasn’t the monster that I had originally thought- he was a child of God, just like me. I was forced to reevaluate every school shooting suspect I had judged prior. They are people. They make bad decisions, they have some unbearable pain, and maybe a gear isn’t working right in their mind. But they are the same as me- people. Children of God. I need to be more patient.

2.)  I have three kids, all little-ish, and am surrounded by said children every second of every day. There is no exaggeration to those internet memes that poke fun at the moms who can’t get a second alone- even in the restroom. Even in my sleep, not a night goes by that I am not covered in small ones (who claim to have had a bad dream, but really just don’t want to let me sleep comfortably.) So somewhere around the 4th time in a row of hearing “Mom, can I eat a pickle?” and “the baby just dumped her *dinner* on the floor! (*insert any combination of bodily fluids, edible objects or fragile items)” is that little part of my brain that knows what my next choice should be: quiet. I need to take time to be quiet and listen to the lack of shopping /to do/to don’t lists running through my head. Listen for what the Spirit wants me to hear. Listen to answers. I just need to make some quiet time.

3.)  My last one is a hard topic. I need to be more earnest and bold in standing up for the right, in the form of “warning the unruly.” I don’t think that means calling out every person that you see who sins, but there are situations that I have been around that I should have taken the opportunity to denounce the wickedness promoted by some people. For example: one of our dearest friends in the world is struggling with their belief in some of the teachings of the church. They believe, as many lacking faith do, that the church is more of a brainwashing institution than founded in the word of God. It is a real struggle for this person, and in turn, their family. This is their choice, and they know that it is rebellious to the ways of the Lord. However, not only do they justify themselves, they seek to disillusion others around them. They want other people to feel the same, that they might fall away together. It is heart-wrenching to watch. When they talk to us, we just roll our eyes and ignore them. However, we should be doing more. We should look for ways to lovingly and patiently discuss their actions with them- warning them of the damage they are leaving in trail behind them. It is part of being a disciple, and our loved ones deserve to know and remember where they stand.

This was kind of a different study assignment than the ones previously. What a blessing it is to be given the opportunity for a little self evaluation! I have so much to work on, and am grateful for a place to start!


Which three did you pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment